Note before you start reading: You can click the photos to view them full-sized. I just thought you might want to know that before you scroll down.
My old desk was falling apart. The front lip was barely holding on, the surface was scratched and stained. I didn’t care about the stains, but the mars on the surface were more accurately described as “gouges” than “scratches.”
Add to that, the hutch was half hanging on because an ill-advised attempt to move the entire desk away from the wall. One of the mount points of the hutch gave way in that effort, so the desk had become more than a little hazardous.
I was sad to see it replaced because it was a great surface. It allowed me to spread out and have many piles of (highly organized) paper within easy reach. It was also very deep from the wall. Most desks are about two feet in depth. This one was almost three feet deep. Very nice, indeed.
My wife and I started shopping online to find a replacement. We exhausted all of the obvious choices, and many of the not-so-obvious web sites. I found some that I liked, but that our pocketbook would not. With a tear in my eye, I’d close those browser tabs and continue my search.
At one point, my wife started listing off sites faster than I could open new tabs, let alone search them. I finally told her to grab her iPad and help me out. I continued my search while she snagged her device, and then we continued scouring the Internet for a new desk side-by-side.
Then she landed on quill.com and a wonderful desk for a fantastic price. I’d seen similar desks for $800 to $1200. When I saw the desk, I didn’t think there was a chance we’d be able to afford it. Then I saw the price of $300 with a free hutch.
We ordered the desk ASAP (in case it was an soon-to-be-corrected error), and waited for a ship date. Well, I was called last Friday with an arrival date of Monday. When I got home, I started cleaning things up and boxing up desk contents. With the help of my son, we started tearing down the desk.
I think I finally finished getting the tear-down complete Sunday afternoon. Then there was the obligatory “vacuum under where all of the furniture used to be” process, and things were ready for construction instead of destruction.
Monday after work arrived, and I had a friend come over to help me out with the desk. The construction took forever. If you get one of these, plan on a good 8-9 hours of effort. Of course, the word “effort” falls short of the intense workout you get from moving around 300 pounds of wood and metal, even when the whole thing breaks down into pieces.
We got the job done, though!
The next day, I set about cleaning up the mess before migrating my stuff back into my office. Everything fits nicely, though my monitor barely squeezes under the hutch, and the bottom lip of the hutch blocks my view of the top edge of the monitor. I have to hunch down to see the top 1/4 inch or so. Not a big deal in my book.
Many thanks to my wonderful wife for letting me get a new desk, signing for it when it arrived, and helping out with the construction for as long as she could stay away. I’m sorry we kept waking you throughout the late hours with the banging and thumping, but it’s hard to put these things together in silence.